Saturday 4 October 2014

Hello World!

Hello everybody!

I write this post from a very warm, sunny Uganda. We finally made it!  After two days travel to London, on Tuesday and Wednesday, and a slight mishap on arrival at Gatwick on Wednesday morning ( I say slight... A lady made off with one my cases by accident!! Though I did thankfully get it back after a couple of  hours..!) After meeting the rest of the team (Ruth and Kathryn, we will be joined by Anna in a few months time) on Thursday morning at Heathrow our flight departed at 12:40.  After 8 hours we arrived in Uganda, late Thursday night.  Thankfully our flight and arrival were a lot less eventful than the travel south to London!  We were met by a couple of volunteers who work for Smile (Alex, Benni, Innocent, and Shavan)  and made our way to the Smile house, our new home for the next 6 months.

Our first day (Friday) was mostly spent catching up on sleep!  However in the afternoon we went food shopping in the local super market, and fruit and veg market.  It was incredible seeing all the different stalls and things. Also driving through Kampala was interesting! It may take a while to get used to the apparent lack of rules on the road..!  It was great to finally see some of the city in the day time, taking in the different sights, smells and noises!  In the evening when we arrived back at the house there was a power cut.  So we spent the time playing guitar and chatting, Ruth and I teaching Innocent a couple of songs he likes on the guitar, which was good. We also played our first game of Rummikub (first of many I am sure!) I am delighted to say that I won.. 

Today is Saturday, which will usually be our day off to do the shopping and things.  Though as we have just arrived this week we don't have much on today! 

Unfortunately I don't have much more news to post now, but I will be sure to keep you posted over the next 6 months about all the things we get up to as we work with Smile International.  Thank you to everyone who has supported me financially and through prayer it is greatly appreciated! I hope you are all well and I look forward to hearing from some of you soon! I will post some pics of the house and things soon!

One last thing.. you can find the girls blogs here.. Ruth and Kathryn

Bye for now :)
Ken!

Anna, Kathryn, Ruth, and me




1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete